Friday, March 13, 2009

What I learned in college.

I had to give an oral presentation in my Spanish class as part of my final exam. I spent all night stressing about it, for reasons that now seem really silly. Mostly because my presentation went a little something like this:

KV: I know we were supposed to memorize it, but is it okay if I read from index cards?
Professor: Yeah, sure. That's fine.
KV: (read a two minute presentation about quinceaneras, the Mexican answer to a sweet-16. Less cars to be given out, but definitely more booze to be had.)
KV: Almost all the girls in my family have had a quinceanera. And with 20+ cousins, that's a lot of quinces.
Professor: Don't take this the wrong way, but your family must spend a fortune! I would think it reaches a point where nobody wants to hear the word quinceanera anymore.
KV: Not really. My family is really into partying. Any excuse to drink and dance is cool by us.

We spent the next five minutes talking about parties. My professor then told me to have a good spring break and "not worry about this class anymore." I spent most of the day yesterday worrying about this presentation. Slaving over making a poster. Pouring over my Spanish book until my eyes refused to focus. I may have even paid Red to help translate some things from English to Spanish. Nothing that can be proven of course.

My point being I spent all that time for nothing. I was in and out in an hour and a half. It felt super anti-climactic but after thinking about it, all I have to say is hot damn! That's what I call a final.

And who am I to disagree with a teacher who tells me to have a good spring break and not worry about school? Nay, to disagree with the entire educational system? I mean, it'd be a slap in the face to educators everywhere if I didn't go out and not worry about Spanish class. And I'm not one to slap faces. Not today, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment