Monday, March 16, 2009

Cena-riffic

I don't really like talking on the phone. I never really have. I don't get people who are all about it either. When I was in high school, I spent most of my time with one particular friend. We had most of our classes together, ate lunch together and I often gave her a ride home. As soon as I walked in the door, she'd call me. You know, just to say hi and see what was new.

Just to say hi? We just spent all day talking to each other! What on earth could you possibly have to say to me after spending 8 hours together? And as for what's new, you mean what's new in the half hour since you saw me last? Good Christ, didn't you get enough of me during the day?

k
Can one ever really get enough of this?

That has been my general phone philosophy for years. If you have something to say to me, do it like a real person and text me. Aside from taking millions of pictures of my dog, Simon, I generally use my phone for texting purposes. It works perfectly since I hate talking on the phone but would die if I couldn't text. Literally. It's a rare genetic condition called Ceasingtobewithoutunlimitedtextsitis. There was a show about it on Discovery Health Channel called 'The Girl Who Had to Text or Her Face Would Melt Off'. True story.*

So today, I get a text from my goddaughter, D. I was surprised because D is ten. She is an awesome goddaughter. One of my favorite things about her, though, is that she's a tomboy. I was at her house a few weekends ago and she was watching Friday Night Smackdown. I told her I thought it was cool that she was watching that, and she surprised me even more by bringing down a John Cena action figure and a play wrestling ring. I was impressed.

We chatted about what we were doing (her- watching TV, me- taking some names on a crossword puzzle book) before our conversation turned to this:

KV: Did you hear that John Cena is making a new movie?
D: Yeah. I really want to see it.
KV: I hope it's better than his last one. If not at least he still has wrestling to go back to.
D: If it's bad he should just stick to things that he's good at like wrestling. He's good at that.
KV: I agree. You should write him a letter.
D: Duh! I did.

I'll have this conversation in my phone for a while. So whenever the clusterfuck of sadness that is occasionally my life decides to step in to say hello, I can scroll back to this conversation and feel better.

And that, my friends, is why texting is better than talking on the phone. Good day to you!


*Not at all a true story.

No comments:

Post a Comment