Saturday, March 7, 2009

American Pie

Tonight Red and I went to a dessert lounge called Something Sweet. This place is fantastic. I always feel super fancy eating there because it has the word "lounge" in the title. You know who eats at lounges? Rich people. You know who's not a rich person? This lady. But damnit, I can throw on my dress jeans, run a comb through my tresses and pretend. Also, did I mention that it serves nothing but dessert? It's pretty much as close as I'll ever get to living in a real life Candyland.

candyland
Which way to Gum Drop Mountain?

My favorite thing about Something Sweet (aside from all the pie) is they have board games you can use. There's your Monopolies, Clues, Trivial Pursuits and Uno. It's essentially just like going over to your grandma's house to play board games and eat homemade dessert. That is, if you're grandma was June Cleaver.

Red and I settled on a game called Top 10. Or maybe it was 10. I don't remember, I'm still kind of on a pie high. The game came with these top 10 cards wherein you get a category, like "Top 10 Richest Countries" and the other player has to guess what the top 10 is. Or at least that's the way we were playing it because we're rebels. I don't have time to abide by real rules.

I picked a card with the topic "Top 10 Murder Weapons Used in the U.S." because nothing says "wholesome, cozy dessert lounge" like murder. Red got the #1 weapon right away (guns), but because he's not a sociopath, had some trouble with the rest of them.

"Um, animals?" he said.

"Animals, really?" I said.

"Yeah, like death by dog attack," Red said.

"No, Red, because this is America, not Mexico," I said. Red thought some more before just shouting out answers.

"Burning! Using your bare hands! Arsenic!"

"Okay, here's a hint," I said. "The #10 weapon is pretty much the most American way you could ever murder someone."

"Um, raping someone to death?"

"I was looking more in the neighborhood of explosives," I said.

"Oh. Well you said American so I just figured," Red said.

I don't think Nana Cleaver would approve.

cleaver
"whatWhatWHAT?!"

2 comments:

  1. Red is WAY to innocent for this little game. Stop trying to corrupt him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red? Innocent? I don't think I understand those words together. Red has M, Garland and myself for siblings. Game, set, match. Welcome to the inappropriate side of the family.

    ReplyDelete