Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Work Here

Today I got the opportunity to take my work to the great outdoors. By that I mean some of my amazingly awesome co-workers let me tag along with them to see something truly badass: nature. All went swimmingly, except for when we were all climbing a hill and I beefed it. I totally ate dirt and buffed my hand on a rock. The funny part (aside from eating it in front of everyone) was I didn't really care. Why not? Well, because we were outside and it really didn't matter. Nothing mattered.

It was like being a kid again. When I was a kid, my life really wasn't all that complicated. There were a couple times, though, when everything felt like it was caving in. Small things got to me and I'd be very close to loosing it. Then I would go outside and everything just faded away. Hunting for horned toads, building tree houses or just laying in the grass playing pogs, it was as close to perfection as anything in my life has ever been. The problem is, you grow up. You discover the wonders of TV or the phone or, god help you, the Internet. Suddenly, outside doesn't seem that cool anymore.

The thing about life is it tends to lead you places you never anticipated you'd be. Every plan I've ever had has gone to complete shambles. Every.One. Sometimes it's a positive thing, other times it makes me want to smash my head on my keyboard. This time, at this job, it seems to be working out. Today was the day I began a courtship with my job. I won't say that I love it because I don't yet. I am, however, entertaining the idea of being in very strong like with it. Maybe someday I will love it and I'll feel like I'm actually doing something that matters. Today was the first day in my entire time at this job that I felt like I could potentially do something meaningful. It was delightful.

Aside from that, I saw some bugs today! Serious, hardcore insects. I saw a beetle the size of my forefinger and more spiders than I knew what to do with. A bee landed on my head and I only sort of freaked out. Then on the way home some roadrunners jotted across the road. ROADRUNNERS.

I know you might be asking yourself, "What kind of job does she have that she sees roadrunners all day?"

Well here's a picture of me out in the field today:

coyote

I think we all know how that one ended. Really, really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment