Sunday, January 11, 2009

And I Miss My Uncle Charles

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: I love getting forwards. I don't know why. By all accounts, they're annoying and I'm almost positive going to be the downfall of society. They make your computer run slowly all for an image of a dancing cat and the words "Have a fancy feline day!" By all means, I should say "No, I will not have a fancy feline day. I will have an average, uneventful day, thank you very much."

But I don't say that. I'm grateful for the distraction, actually. And then I try to imagine what was going through the sender's head when they sent this.

"She'll think it's cute," is prolly the the most common thing. Followed by, "Fuck her, this'll show her smart ass. Send, dancing hamster clip, send!"

Like I say, as someone who (sadly) spends the majority of the day in an office, forwards can be a very welcome distraction. Tonight, I got an amusing one. Well, amusing for a forward.

An aunt sent me this link: http://www.joshhosler.biz/NumberOneInHistory/SelectMonth.htm

Also I'm waaaaay too lazy to spruce that up in html. My blog, my rulesies, capish? Anyhoo, it'll take you to this page where you can find out what the #1 song in the nation was the day you were born. Mine was "Alone" by Heart. Not bad. That is, until I saw the list for the 90s.

1999- "If You Had My Love" by Jennifer Lopez
1998- "The Boy Is Mine" by Brandy and Monica
1997- "I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans feat. 112
1996- "The Crossroads" by Bone Thungs-n-Harmony
1995- "Waterfalls" by TLC
1994- "I Swear" by All-4-One
1993- "Weak" by SWV
1992- "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-Lot
1991- "Rush Rush" by Paula Abdul
1990- "Step by Step" by New Kids on the Block

Hold the mother flippin' phone. You mean to tell me all those gems were #1 the day of my birth? Wait, wait, wait. You're saying that I get to claim Bone Thugs, Sir Mix-a-Lot AND Puff Daddy back when he was still Puff Daddy and not P.Diddy or P.Silly or whatever he's calling himself these days? Hey-o!

Aside from the fact that in 6th grade coolness was measured solely by whether or not you knew the rap part of "Waterfalls" and in addition to the sad, sad fact that I would insist someone be the Monica to my Brandy during my always stirring rendition of "The Boy Is Mine", these songs completely summed up the 90s for me. The sweet days of my ghetto youth. The carefree days when I rocked cholla bangs and answered people's questions with "Sup?" Things were simpler then. I didn't say things were in style, but simpler.

I suggest giving the link a try and seeing what comes up.

1 comment:

  1. 1981 ... "Endless Love" by Diana Ross & Lionel Richie

    Jealous?!

    If not, you should be aware I know all the words to Crossroads by Bone Thungs, Every. Single. One. DBJ.

    Also, LL and I had fish named Bone, Thungs, and Harmony. We made the girl we didn't like in Jr. High name hers "N" for the and. . .haha, that's what she gets.

    ReplyDelete