Friday, December 19, 2008

4 Boys

A quadruple threat of yum just barged into my office. Four young, muscular and very gorgeous guys came to the desk at work to ask for some general information. So not only are they dangerously* handsome, but they're in fatigues. That's right, Army boys. They're joking with each other and calling me ma'am. Where do I sign up? Clothing is optional in the Army, isn't it?

They need to leave a a $100 deposit. The leader, the cute brunette with blue eyes, only has $40. His buddies pull out crumpled wads of greens from their fatigue pockets. Another $30, a $10, $7.

$87. I want to tell them that I'll just take it, but we can't jerk around with the deposit. So one of them pulls out a quarter. Then a dime. Before I know what's happening, they have another $10 in change. They start to pull out pennies and I say, "That's enough, guys. I'll just take what you have. You don't have to keep pulling things out of your pants."

They laugh. "I was this close to selling my skivvies," one of them says. Maybe I should have let them keep going.

As they leave, one of them, Sommers, stops to shake my hand. "Thanks, ma'am."

"Sure," I say. "Have a good one."

Aside from being one man away from a fantasy, those guys were wonderfully refreshing. They looked my age with baby faces. I don't know where they're from or if they're away from their families, but they were enjoying each other and making the best of the situation. A lot of times, people will come in and freak out if they don't have the right amount of cash or we don't have what they're looking for. They blame each other, they blame us, sometimes they just leave without a thank you or even acknowledge us as human beings. Those people leave a sting that stays with me all day.

"Assholes," I'll mutter trying to shake it off, but their shit attitude stays with me. Sometimes at the end of the day it takes all the energy I have left not to drop armfulls of files and just leave. Thanks to the boys in green though, today will not be one of those days. Today will be a day when I can go home and think, "Y'know, today wasn't so bad to get through."

Thanks, beautiful boys in green.

*I say dangerous because it's almost stroke inducing how cute they were. Is it possible to die due to adorable overexposure?

4 comments:

  1. I question your taste in men considering you think the guy from flash forward is a hot tamale.

    regards-

    garland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does "garland" secretly mean Holly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, Codename Garland has been compromised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got to wake up early in the morning to fool me ladies!

    ReplyDelete