Friday, August 7, 2009

Etc, etc, etc

It was recently brought to my attention that I listen to a lot of bands with animal related names.

Wolf Parade, Wolfmother, Andrew Bird, Arctic Monkeys, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, Cat Power, Cat Stevens, Minus the Bear, Grizzly Bear, Flight of the Conchords, Pedro the Lion, Animal Collective, you get the picture.

I've got lions hanging out with wolves, cats riding horses while foxes watch and more bears than you can shake a stick at*. My iPod is essentially one massive zoo. Or Noah's Ark if there was a VIP section. Sorry, tortoise, you're not on the list.

*Additionally, why would you shake a stick at a bear? That's just bad common sense.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I still have two weeks before College brings the late nights and $200 text books back into my life, I've been trying to do what smart people do and read. This time up it's The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams. It's the sequel to the very amusing, way better in book form than movie form The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm going to be honest, I only started reading Hitchhiker because I was rummaging in Red's closet looking for something to read and/or steal. I liked the first one, but wasn't really that invested in the series. It wasn't until I was at Border's and saw Restaurant on sale for $2.99 that I decided to give it another shot.

Um, Doug Adams is a badass. A badass in the goofiest way possible. The guy writes witty absurdist fiction and I have decided that in my next life, I want to be a cheeky, odd, slightly off, old British man who writes about dolphins and space. God, let's work this out. If not, I will settle for just being cheeky.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In October, I'm flying to Portland to visit Thurber. You know when you're little and you count down the days to your birthday? You check the calendar every.single.day and it just doesn't ever seem like your birthday is going to come. Like you're in some sort of space-time vortex where not only is time not moving forward, you somehow have GONE BACK A DAY. What the fuck, physics?

That's how I feel about my trip to Portland. I'm so excited to see a city I've heard so much about, to visit my friend and to hike around that October just can't come fast enough.

Additionally, I met one of my co-worker's sons this weekend who happens to live in Portland. Upon hearing about my upcoming visit, he offered to show Thurber and I around.

"I guess if I had to sum up Portland in a few words, it would be be beer, salmon and hiking."

Seriously?! Why didn't anyone tell me about this? Everyone knows I love salmon, hiking and beer. That's so common knowledge it's pract---

Wait a minute. Beer. Salmon. Hiking. You know who else loves all those things?

b1

Oh shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment